Tuesday, July 22, 2014

His Creative Capabilities


This last week we met my in-laws for a two-day get away in the Texas Hill Country. One of our fun filled activities was to visit an observatory while an instructor updated us on the latest news regarding the stars and planets. After getting a stunning view of the moon through one of their massive telescopes, we proceeded to get into the line to see Jupiter. The problem was that there were several families crowded into this small building, and a few of the children continued to run around the telescopes bumping or grabbing them as they sought to get a view. This of course caused the instructor to stop several times to adjust the sensitive setting on the finder to once again aim our vision toward the intended target. After several of these interactions and as my wife and I came close to the instrument, the guide informed us that the cloud cover had now become too thick to see the planet. We had missed our opportunity.
Walking away a bit disappointed, I thought about how long I had waited and how much I wanted to take advantage of what felt like my only chance to catch a glimpse of the largest planet in our solar system. In reflection, I wonder why I don’t feel the same way about God. Has life become so routine that missing an encounter with God because of distraction or interruption, ceases to disappoint?
Yet the one who fashioned this creation, the actual creator himself, whose creative capabilities are exemplified in not one, but billions of stars, many of which can’t even be seen at this point; wants to meet with me daily, even hourly, in my thoughts, in my actions, and yes, in my prayers. Then I read the Psalmist say,

When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him? Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor.

Our creative God has crowned us with glory and honor by giving us the ability to commune with him unlike any other created being. This communion takes place before his return, through prayer and worship.  As a result, let us not be disappointed, because he has made a way for us to meet with him today. Let us anticipate in wonder and confidence, our glorious communion with the creator of all that is good.

Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment